Search This Blog

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Fruit and Rhubarb Pie


Well for my first post back it sure will be a fun one. I haven't had much time to cook since I've been home. Work has kept me very busy. Hopefully this next week will slow down some and I can get back in the kitchen. I just got all my new Pampered Chef stuff, so I'm looking forward to using it!

When I was home, my mom had bought some rhubarb but wasn't sure how she wanted to use it. So I made this pie. We had some great fruit in the house so I didn't go the basic Strawberry Rhubarb style.

This turned out great!

Ingredients
2 Pie Crusts (one for top and bottom)- I used Pillsbury, I didn't want to make one.
6 Stalks Rhubarb (trimmed and leaves removed *did you know they are poisonous*)
4 Small apples
1 Container Strawberries
1/2 Pint Blueberries
3/4 Cup White Sugar
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Cornstarch (to thicken the juices)
2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
1 yolk + 1 tsp water lightly beaten
White sugar to top

Place one Pie Crust in a Pie Pan.

Slice up Rhubarb into 1/4-1/2" pieces. Slice Apples thinly (leave the skins on, it's good for you).
Slice Strawberries thickly.
Add Blueberries.

Put them all in a big mixing bowl. Add all other ingredients and mix.


Pour into your pie tin and flatten as much as possible.
Now you can get fancy pants like me and make a lattice top (which is really easy by the way- if you need a good tutorial check out Smitten Kitchen's ).

Then take your beaten egg and water mixture and brush it on top, this will help it to brown. I always like to dust mine with some sugar. So take a pinch of white sugar and put it all on the top. Yum.

Put in the Oven at 400* for 20 min and then reduce to 350* for another 20-30 minutes until pie is lightly browned. Allow to rest and then enjoy!

Have a great Saturday and God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment