Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Babywearing



I have to tell you since I started wearing Lucy around in a wrap when I take her out I've gotten some crazy stares.

But here are a few reasons why I love to wear her:
1. It simulates what she was used to in the womb, being close to mom.
2. She can hear my heartbeat (also a comfort thing for her)
3. I have 2 hands available!
4. It's easier on my body than carrying her in the car seat.
5. She gets to experience everything I do (especially when facing out) because she can see and goes with me
6. It deters people from touching her

Now with all this Sling Controversy people (like a sweet postman at the post office) also sometimes feel the need to tell me "I just saw on CNN health that some babies died in Slings" in which case I replied "That's why I use a wrap, so she is upright". Not that I necessarily think there is anything wrong with slings, but it is easier to get out of the conversation that way.

The first time I ever took her out (and in the wrap), I had to go to the library to return some books. She was only 4 days old. We drove to the Library, I put her in the wrap, walked in, went to renew my books (apparently my card expired and I needed a new one) and the first thing the lady said was "Can she breathe in there"? I'm thinking to myself, yes of course she can! I'm not going to do anything to hurt my baby girl. But, I calmly replied, yes, she can.

But, I digress.

Babywearing has been so helpful for me. My dear friend L made my wrap for me as a baby shower gift ;). Did you know that it can wreak havoc on your body if you carry your infant car seat around? Read THIS. Think of this a typical infant car seat weighs about 7 lbs. At the beginning when you have a cute little baby then you are carrying around maybe 15 lbs.

But as your cute little bambino becomes more of a bruiser/bruisette and weighs 16 lbs now you are lugging around 23 lbs. No small task when you are holding it at your side!

There have been very few times I've carried Lucy in the carseat, Hubby would rather me not because he knows that it can just be so bad for your body. I've done it when she's been asleep mostly and we are going into someone else's house where I can't put her in her crib. Other than that she usually goes in the wrap.

Mostly, I use it while shopping. I take her to the grocery store and put her in a front cross carry (facing in). That way she can take a nap, because I can put one side on her head a bit so it stays in place and she can sleep.

Yesterday was the first time I put her facing out, because she has great head control. She had a great time taking in all the sights at the Grocery store.

Another bonus of having her in the wrap is people are less likely to come up and touch your child. Because of course they are mostly covered by the wrap and they are so close to you that it would be wrong for people to reach for them. This is nice because it keeps germy hands away from your kiddo!

Then we also use it to take Lucy girl on walks. She'll usually fall asleep from the walking and we don't have to worry about the stroller.

Here is hubby with her on when she was 2 weeks old. (He now wants a camo wrap, the blue isn't manly enough *shrugs*)
There are so many options for wearing your baby, wraps, slings, mei-tei's, beco's, ergo's etc. I'd love an ergo but I DON'T love the price tag.

For more info check out these sites:
TheBabyWearer (TBW)
WearYourBaby (this has picture by picture demo's of how to put your baby in safely).

Babywearing may not be for everyone, but I sure do enjoy it!

P.S. I get many compliments on the wrap as well and people often ask questions and say how good of an idea it is. So it isn't all negative.

I would love to try a back carry soon, but I'll have to perfect it around the house before I dare take her out in it!

Have a great day and God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. I just washed my Moby wrap yesterday? Now to figure out how to use it...

    ReplyDelete