Search This Blog

Friday, September 11, 2015

Recipe: Creamy Polenta with Chicken and Broccoli


Disclaimer: awesome photographer I am not.

Today I'm sharing this yummy Creamy Polenta recipe with you. Polenta is something new that I have started making over the last 6 months, I thought it was something that was really hard to make, but with this recipe it isn't at all!

This is the recipe that I use, I don't even adapt it! And anyone that knows me, knows that is a big deal because I usually adapt most recipes. Ok, well I guess I did adapt it because I added a little Garlic Powder and Italian seasoning, but other than that NOTHING ;)

http://sharedappetite.com/recipes/creamy-cheddar-polenta/

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 2-3 cups water
  • 1 cup cornmeal (medium grind)
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp italian seasoning
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
direCTIONS
  1. Bring the milk, 2 cups of the water, and a very large pinch of salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to a low simmer and add cornmeal in a slow and steady stream, constantly whisking to prevent lumps.
  2. Polenta should be at a bare simmer, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the mixture gets too thick (mine did), add water, ½ cup at a time. I ended up doing this twice.
  3. Remove from heat, stir in butter and olive oil, and then stir in cheddar cheese. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  4. Serve immediately.

I used Cheddar Jack because that's what I had on hand and I had to add about 3/4 cup of water during the cooking process, we really enjoyed this polenta served along some basic pan fried chicken and broccoli, it was a nice well rounded "man meal" as my husband calls it, because it was all served in one bowl.

Step out of your comfort zone and try this yummy side dish,  you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment