Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Peppery Sausage Casserole

Usually most of my creations just come from my brain, on a whim or me looking at ingredients and trying to figure out something new to do with them. This is one of those brain-childs.

Ingredients
1 Package Hot Turkey Sausage, casings removed (do this while it's still not completely thawed)
1 1/2 cups Rice (not quick cook) I used long grain
1/3 Cup + 1/2 Cup Banana Pepper Juice
1/2 Bag Frozen Peppers/Onion Mix (or 1 1/2 Bell Pepper Sliced)
1/2 Onion Sliced
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 tsp Black pepper

Servings: 4

Heat a large skillet over medium to medium high heat. Take your sausage and slice through the casing longways and remove meat from the casing. Place it in the pan still in link form. Do this for all 5 links.

In the mean time start to cook your rice, follow the directions for making 1 1/2 cups rice (which for me was 3 cups water) I used 2 1/2 cups water and 1/2 cup Banana pepper juice. But I think the rice was a touch too salty so I'd drop it down to 1/3 cup Banana pepper juice and 2 2/3 cup water.

Cook rice as you normally would, it will have a yellowy-greenish color. That's ok, banana peppers are that color!

My inspiration- Mild pepper rings (well the juice anyways)

Chop onion and add it to your pan as well as your peppers/onion mix. Add black pepper and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally until meat is cooked through and all vegetables are tender. As the cooking time ends add 1/3 cup of the Banana Pepper juice to the pan and allow it to incorporate.

When everything is finished cooking just combine in your rice pan and enjoy a nice big bowl.

I thought this was really good, but like I said I thought a touch too salty. That being said hubby loved it (he loves salty food) and said it was perfect.

So if you have some leftover pepper juice that you don't want to throw away, give this a try, you won't be dissapointed!

Have a great day and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment