Search This Blog

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Cinnamon and Sugar Doughnuts (the quick way!)




First, I have to thank Christy at Southern Plate for this recipe, Hubby and I both loved it. Dang these things are delicious.


Here is her recipe Melt in Your Mouth Doughnuts

Ingredients (slightly modified)

1 Can Butter Biscuits (not the flaky kind (they will soak up too much oil))
3/4 Cup White Sugar
1 T Cinnamon
1/2 stick butter, melted
Vegetable Oil for Frying

Ok first I just have to tell you that these are stinking AMAZING, I told hubby he could taste test the first doughnut hole, so he sat patiently post-lunch waiting. He tried it and then said "when is the next one gonna be ready" So I did another doughnut hole and then a few minutes later he had the first doughnut. Man, these.are.good!

(he's a good sport and funny too!)

Enough salivating, time to cook.

Get out a big skillet, fill with vegetable oil so it is around 1/2 inch deep. Heat on Medium-Medium high for at least 5 min. Note: the first doughnut hole I did, it didn't simmer too much (on 6), so I bumped it up, then the second one cooked to fast (on 8) so I dropped it back down to 6, so you'll have to test it
Open your can of biscuits, place them on a plate, and using a bottle top (man Christy is smart) pop out the middles of the bisquits and save them for doughnut holes.

Melt your butter in a shallow wide bowl. Mix your sugar and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl (it makes them easier to coat).
Get a plate out, put some paper towels on it. And we are off.

Test a doughnut hole, make sure it bubbles and sizzles. If it does you are ready for the doughnuts. My pan could comfortably fit 4 at a time. Drop them in (well more like place, if you drop them you'll get burnt, and that's no fun, but if you do the doughnuts will make you feel better) and note the time (you'll need seconds). After anywhere from 45 sec to 1 min flip them over, they should be golden brown. Cook for about the same amount of time on the otherside. Then remove them to the Paper-toweled plate.

Let them rest for a minute or so, so they are warm but not hot.

Place one in the butter to coat, flip and coat the other side. Then drop it into the cinnamon and sugar bowl and coat, like so (hubby was on the phone so I was video-ing and sugar-ing at the same time so sorry if it's bumpy). Note: the video won't post, I'll try later. Essentially grab the bowl and toss it in the sugar until coated. Repeat till you have finished the 4. Place them on a clean plate.
Do the same for the last 4 and the doughnut holes. Then eat one and prepare to be amazed. I was. So was hubby.

These.
Are.
Dangerous.
Wow.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    You just made my day. They look fabulous and I'm blushing from your kindness!!!
    So thrilled you like them! I just love to feed people...

    Christy Jordan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mom makes these ghetto doughnuts and i love them sooooo much!!!! she only ever made them with just the sugar...i will have to tell her about adding some cinnimon!!!

    ReplyDelete