Search This Blog

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Kielbasa and Onions with Balsalmic Lemon Pepper Rice



Ingredients:


1 package Polska Kielbasa - sliced into 1/2 inch thick pieces (the already cooked meat, it only has to be warmed through) I used the new light kind because I'm sorta health conscious and it interested me ;)
1 Medium onion sliced thin
1/4-1 tsp chili powder (depending on how spicy you like it)
Dash Salt

Rice:
1 1/2 cups leftover rice from last night
1 Tbsp Balsalmic Vinegar ( I used 3, way too much, IMO)
2 Tbsp Lemon Pepper Seasoning

Heat large skillet on medium high heat, once heated add a light coating of olive/ canola oil to the bottom of the pan. Let it heat for a few seconds then add your onions to the pan and toss to coat in the oil. Add a dash of salt and your chili powder. Onions absorb alot of flavor so if you use a decent amount of chili powder they will have some kick! Hubby really likes spicy food so I do my best to give him some!

Now this is important. Cover your onions in the skillet, this will keep the moisture in and help them to cook faster, check them every few minutes and move them around. If your pan gets dry and a touch of water and keep cooking. I cooked mine for about 10 minutes before I added the meat.

Add meat to the skillet and toss lightly. Let it brown and absorb the flavors for about 5-8 minutes so it is warmed through and then you are done. It should look similar to this ;)

For the rice, I combined into a microwave safe bowl: the rice, vinegar and lemon pepper. Put it in the microwave for 3 minutes and done! Now if you don't have leftover rice like me, then make your rice as you normally would and then at the end of cooking add your other ingredients and toss.

I also made some broccoli and cauliflower to go with dinner.

We really liked the kielbasa and onions, but in hindsight I would have used more chili powder, they were much more mild than I expected. The rice was good, but I used too much vinegar, next time I'll only use 1 Tbsp. Hubby liked the sweet of the kielbasa with the tangy of the rice, so he mixed it together.

We're heading over to some friends of ours now, they is sure to be food, because it is relational!
God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment