Search This Blog

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Refried Bean Stew


On thursday night (which is usually crockpot night) I hadn't had time wednesday to get stuff into the crockpot. So I decided I'd make a bean soup. So where did I first go to look? The Crockpot lady ( even though I wasn't going to do it in the crockpot) and she did not dissapoint, here is the recipe.
She had changed it from another recipe and I've also made some changes.

Ingredients
1 Large onion- chopped
3-4 cloves garlic (I used 3 monster ones)- minced
1 1/2 cups Chicken stock
1- 8 oz can no salt added Tomato Sauce
1 Large Hot House tomato- chopped
1 Can Refried Beans
1 Can Black Beans (rinsed)
1 Cup Corn ( I used frozen) cook it first
1 1/2 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1 T Hot Sauce

Take a Large Sauce pot and place it on the stove on medium heat. Once it is heated, add a few Tbsp of Oil. Add your chopped onions and cook for 5 min. Add in your garlic and all spices and cook for another 3 minutes ( you may have to add a little bit of water to keep from sticking). Now you dont have to put your spices in then. You can save them for when you add all of the other ingredients but here is why I do it.

It just gives it more flavor. The onions soak up the flavor and make it more potent (at least in my mind). So it is your choice. Before or after.

Then add the refried beans to the pot. Stir them around so they break up and start to melt. Then add all of your other ingredients (you can adjust the chili powder and hot sauce to your desired level, ours turned out with a pretty good kick). Stir it up well. Turn it down to medium low and allow it to simmer for about 20 minutes.

Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!

Have a great day and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment