Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Homemade Mayonnaise

I know I know...I've been not blogging this week. My mom has been in town so I've been super busy with hanging out with her and enjoying her while she is here. I've got plenty of things to be posting soon. Don't worry. Hang in there!

Ingredients
1 Cup Canola Oil
2 Egg Yolks
3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Mustard
lots and lots of elbow grease.....

It's nice to know what goes into your food. And that it isn't a bunch of soybean oil or preservatives. So that made it fun. But it was long.

Take 2 egg yolks, add your lemon juice and all of your spices. Put all of your oil in something that you can get small amounts out at a time. I used one of those oil droppers that you use for cooking. I loaded my oil in there. It's going to be important that you only put in a little at a time so that your emulsification takes place and it doesn't separate.
(this is not what I used, only what I measured it in)

Use your hand mixer on low and start to mix your egg, lemon and spice mixture. Continuing to blend add in about 1 tsp of oil at a time, mixing all the way through. Continue to add 1 tsp at a time until you are 1/2 way to 2/3 done putting your oil in.

Then you can start to add it a little more quickly. Blend until you have all of the oil added in.

Place in the refrigerator for 30 min and then use as you please. Use all of it within 1 week because remember, there are no preservatives!

Have a great night and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment